- 1 large head red leaf lettuce, chopped
- 1 16 oz bag chopped mustard greens
- ½ red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 cups matchstick carrots
- 2 pounds shredded barbecue pork, warmed
- * Barbecue Ranch Dressing (recipe follows)
- **Cheese and Bacon Cornbread Croutons (recipe follows)
In a large bowl, combine red leaf lettuce, mustard greens, red cabbage, and matchstick carrots. Evenly divide lettuce mixture among 8 dinner plates. Top with barbecue pork, Barbecue Ranch Dressing, and Cheese and Bacon Cornbread Croutons. Serve immediately.
Yield: 8 servings
* Barbecue Ranch Dressing
- 1-16 oz container sour cream
- 1 cup hickory-flavored barbecue sauce
- ½ cup whole buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
In a medium bowl, combine sour cream, barbecue sauce, and buttermilk, whisking until smooth. Add dill, chives, hot pepper sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt, whisking to combine well. Cover, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Store in an upright container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Yield: approximately 3 cups
**Cheese & Bacon Cornbread Croutons
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 cups self-rising buttermilk cornmeal mix
- 2 cups whole buttermilk
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 pound hickory-smoked bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 ½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place ¼ cup butter in a 13×9-inch baking pan. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal mix, buttermilk, melted butter, and egg, whisking until smooth.
Stir in bacon and cheese. Place prepared pan in oven until butter is melted and pan is hot, 2 to 3 minutes. Spoon batter into pan.
Bake until golden brown, approximately 20 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes; remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack. Cut cornbread into 1-inch cubes.
Spray a large rimmed baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Place cornbread cubes in a single layer on baking sheet.
Bake at 450 degrees until lightly browned and crisp, approximately 10 minutes.
Yield: 8-10 servings